01:56 airlied: Lyude: nice!
04:53 fdobridge: <!​DodoNVK (she) 🇱🇹> HLSL mentioned 🐸
06:21 airlied: Lyude: just hit the alloc fail on a laptop here
09:53 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> For those of you working on the game tracker thanks for getting so much in here! I am not sure who Danayer is, but if you see this it's okay to edit again.
09:55 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> I just finished sorting out some issues I was starting to see. The individual reports really need statuses of their own, so I added that to the reports sheet. Given that sorting the reports breaks all of the links from the game sheet having two sheets just makes it too brittle, so I have removed it.
09:55 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> The idea of having one overarching status per game is not really very maintainable
09:57 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> In order to make it work I had to add statuses for games with multiple entries, if you see a status on one of your reports that you disagree with go ahead and change it.
11:50 fdobridge: <S​id> @redsheep I discovered, it wasn't NVK causing loading slowdowns
11:50 fdobridge: <S​id> it was proton experimental bleeding-edge-debug
11:51 fdobridge: <S​id> even though I had logging disabled
11:52 fdobridge: <S​id> because I saw the same slowdowns on nv prop when I tested that out just for the sake of it
11:54 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> I haven't been using bleeding edge. Maybe we were seeing different issues, I am not even 100% certain what I saw was a genuine regression.
11:55 fdobridge: <S​id> funky
13:02 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Thanks to everyone who's testing stuff out! I'm sure we'll eventually outgrow a spreadsheet but it's a good place to start.
13:03 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> We may eventually want to move to protondb but I'll need to figure out how to effectively get data out of it first.
13:03 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> For now, this gives us a spot for us and I think that's fine. We'll see how it goes.
13:07 fdobridge: <S​id> we'll make our own protondb, with blackjack and hookers
13:07 fdobridge: <S​id> :wolfFIRE:
13:07 fdobridge: <S​id> (protondb isn't open source, there's not way to get data out of it other than scrape it, for now)
13:13 fdobridge: <m​arysaka> I was updating my test bench to play some stuffs and do some testing here
13:13 fdobridge: <a​huillet> so, what game am I testing the driver with this weekend
13:13 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> Something better than the spreadsheet would be nice, but I think as the sheet has already shown pretty well (without me even adding most of my data yet) I don't think it will be long before we're no longer in a state where tracking outside of full issues makes sense
13:14 fdobridge: <a​huillet> sometimes the simplest tool is the best...
13:14 fdobridge: <S​id> yeah, I haven't added all my reports as well
13:14 fdobridge: <S​id> just got the non-working ones in asap before I forgot about them
13:15 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> Yeah same, I've tested like 50 games and most of them don't crash.
13:15 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> It's hosted by Valve and I know people...
13:16 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> IDK what query tools they have for it, though.
13:17 fdobridge: <S​id> oh, Valve adopted it?
13:17 fdobridge: <S​id> as far as I knew it was a passion project by a community member 😅
13:17 fdobridge: <S​id> wait, no, it's still that
13:17 fdobridge: <S​id> https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1034184951790305330/1233406662031970374/image.png?ex=662cfaf7&is=662ba977&hm=a70dd3a24a738ea7dab2301a34ae1418b830f9d2fd5de3b9673730b5d5fa316f&
13:18 fdobridge: <S​id> :o
13:18 fdobridge: <S​id> https://github.com/bdefore/protondb-data
13:23 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Oh, okay, then.
13:23 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> I guess I'm mistaken.
13:24 fdobridge: <a​huillet> on the flip side, seems like the data is public, though I'm not sure what you had in mind of doing with it
13:24 fdobridge: <S​id> yeah, data is public, snapshots released every month
13:24 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Mostly, I want to get a sense of where we're at right now.
13:25 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> But I think it's better to do that with targeted testing by folks with decent sized steam libraries.
13:25 fdobridge: <S​id> yeah, protondb isn't the most reliable imo, what with people putting in placebo launch options and env vars all over the place 😅
13:25 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Too many reports and things quickly become unactionable.
13:26 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> We're already at the point where I don't really know what to do next. 😂
13:27 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> Interlock?
13:27 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> I mean I have a plan. I'm in vacation mode until late next week and then I'll be trying to land modifiers and start working on my perf checklist.
13:27 fdobridge: <S​id> vkd3d-proton tracker issue would be a good place to start as well
13:27 fdobridge: <S​id> :wolfFIRE:
13:27 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> That's not too far down the list.
13:27 fdobridge: <p​homes_> gfxstrand: testing reminded me about this issue I hit in zero_vram(). There is an assert if the bo is above a certain size. I hit that on multiple games.
13:28 fdobridge: <p​homes_> Do you remember the reason for this limit? https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/blob/main/src/nouveau/vulkan/nvk_device_memory.c#L58
13:28 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> I always love to hear performance mentioned
13:28 fdobridge: <p​homes_> oh. Vacation mode. Never mind 🙂
13:28 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> I do think performance is #1 in my mind at this point
13:28 fdobridge: <S​id> also might be worth looking at how to change our thingy to have compute-only queues as well
13:28 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Just me being lazy.
13:29 Lyude: airlied_: gotcha, I should be sending out the patch for it today
13:29 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Nah, you're fine. I'm sitting here chatting on my phone while waiting for a plane.
13:29 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Y'all don't need to worry about bothering me. I'm pretty good at ignoring people when I need a break.
13:30 fdobridge: <S​id> hope you have a good vacation
13:30 fdobridge: <S​id> :saigeheart:
13:30 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> I will
13:30 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Yeah, next on the list is a cbuf0 rework. Then I'm going to take a crack at figuring out compression.
13:31 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> I really hope the kernel doesn't need fixes for that... 😬
13:32 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> But I also want to figure out modifiers ASAP so we can drop the bad Zink paths.
13:32 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> That's the last step for making Zink competent for GL, I think.
13:33 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> That and descriptor buffer like zmike said
13:33 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Yeah, maybe. 🤷🏻‍♀️
13:33 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> But, that's already being worked iirc
13:33 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> We need to do it for sure but it's not as fundamental, IMO.
13:33 fdobridge: <e​sdrastarsis> descriptor buffer is pain
13:33 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> That, too
13:34 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> Is it valid to just... Make up our own thing that zink or even vkd3d can use instead of descriptor buffer?
13:39 fdobridge: <S​id> that sounds like making things painful for everyone else
13:40 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> Maybe but if that extension is a really poor match for the hardware it might be a better idea to try to avoid code hitting that path
13:50 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> I think we'll figure it out
14:05 fdobridge: <r​inlovesyou> So nice to hear, really looking forward to ditching proprietary for good once things run faster :3
14:05 fdobridge: <r​inlovesyou>
14:05 fdobridge: <r​inlovesyou> Enjoy the rest of your vacation!
14:31 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> https://tenor.com/view/vacation-vacation-time-cuba-drinks-pool-gif-15936207
14:31 fdobridge: <z​mike.> you only need descriptor buffers if you care about async separate shader compiles
14:32 fdobridge: <z​mike.> if you're fine with random stuttering in games that use separate shaders, keep on keeping on
14:34 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> I'm not fine with that long term but IDK if descriptor buffer is the way to fix it in the short term. We'll get there.
14:34 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Not that I have any love of descriptor sets...
14:39 fdobridge: <m​ohamexiety> enjoy your vacation and hope you have a good time! ❤️
14:44 fdobridge: <d​adschoorse> surely there will be yet another vk descriptor extension that will fix everything for all IHVs and ISVs, right?
14:44 fdobridge: <z​mike.> and then another one after that to Really fix it
14:49 fdobridge: <m​ohamexiety> only for a new vendor to come up with an architecture that is so cursed it's incompatible with that one, too
15:44 Lyude: airlied_: fixes posted