03:46 anarsoul: hey folks, I'm trying to run nvk on my gtx1650, but it doesn't seems to work: https://gist.github.com/anarsoul/a7e97988897f4c58d8d77068c96f5af2
03:47 anarsoul: that's on linux-6.8.2 and mesa-24.0.3
04:30 fdobridge: <r​inlovesyou> does it work on 6.8.1? on 6.8.2 i've also seen issues with nvidia proprietary. What about with GSP off?
04:31 anarsoul: I haven't tried it with 6.8.1
04:32 anarsoul: and I don't have it in pacman cache :(
04:32 anarsoul: and how do I turn GSP off?
04:33 fdobridge: <r​inlovesyou> `nouveau.config=NvGspRm=0` in kernel params
04:34 anarsoul: let me try that first
04:41 anarsoul: it's not happy either with GSP off: https://gist.github.com/anarsoul/62d9d1d3059a473b955625acc99f7582
04:45 fdobridge: <r​inlovesyou> yikes
04:46 fdobridge: <r​inlovesyou> 6.8.2 certainly seems a bit cursed so far :Hehe:
04:47 anarsoul: seems to work with 6.8.1, but with the same backtrace as above
04:47 anarsoul: (with GSP on)
04:47 anarsoul: sounds like GSP is broken on 6.8.2?
04:48 fdobridge: <r​inlovesyou> certainly seems that way, nvidia's latest proprietary ones are also disagreeing with 6.8.2
04:48 fdobridge: <r​inlovesyou> certainly seems that way, nvidia's latest proprietary ones are also disagreeing with 6.8.2 for me (edited)
04:48 fdobridge: <r​inlovesyou> had to downgrade to 6.8.1
04:49 anarsoul: *sigh*
04:50 fdobridge: <r​inlovesyou> Tis a tale as old as time
04:51 anarsoul: I had to recompile 6.8.2 to apply https://patchwork.kernel.org/project/bluetooth/patch/20240326164317.1460864-1-luiz.dentz@gmail.com/ and decided to try out nvk, since proprietary module refused to load
04:56 anarsoul: there's only 2 nouveau commits between 6.8.1 and 6.8.2
04:56 anarsoul: "nouveau: reset the bo resource bus info after an eviction" and "nouveau/gsp: don't check devinit disable on GSP."
04:58 anarsoul: the latter looks suspicious
04:58 anarsoul: airlied: ^^
06:56 HdkR: for (int i = 0; drm_device->deviceinfo.platform->compatible[i] != NULL; i++) {
06:57 HdkR: if (strncmp(drm_device->deviceinfo.platform->compatible[0], compat_prefix, strlen(compat_prefix)) == 0) {
06:57 HdkR: Looks like a bug in that if line, checking against compatible[0] instead of compatible[i]
06:58 soreau: too many 0's and i's ;)
06:59 HdkR: Other drivers do platform checks quite a bit differently. Caught my eye
07:45 fdobridge: <a​huillet> Refused to load -- what happened?
12:08 fdobridge: <z​mike.> @gfxstrand you probably have interest in #10925
14:50 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> This is a REALLY good bug report: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/nouveau/-/issues/346
14:52 fdobridge: <S​id> it is
14:59 fdobridge: <m​arysaka> oh that's amazing
15:03 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> I am. I'm not sure I 100% agree with Marek but yes, I need to think about it and have opinions
15:06 fdobridge: <z​mike.> yes, and I look forward to seeing what those opinions are
19:49 Lyude: What should the vendor string for nvk look like?
19:53 fdobridge: <r​inlovesyou> https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1034184951790305330/1224446455557914859/image.png?ex=661d85a0&is=660b10a0&hm=50022ff963a6a0bc7c5b8769a886c3673a46a2a7d2a22f2971506ae6465abb8b&
19:54 fdobridge: <r​inlovesyou> this is what it looks like with dxvk hud
19:56 Lyude: rinlovesyou: Any chance you've got wflinfo on there? not sure I've got that setup here quite yet (thank you for the info regardless)
19:57 Lyude: nbd if not
19:57 fdobridge: <r​inlovesyou> ah, you want opengl
19:58 fdobridge: <r​inlovesyou> i'd have to yeet my proprietary drivers.. I can give you what minecraft prints out with zink? :Hehe:
19:58 Lyude: oh right! i forgot there'd be a diff tool for vulkan haha
19:58 Lyude: it's been a while since I've looked at this kind of stuff :)
19:58 Lyude: i'll just find the vulkan string on here then, thanks ♥
20:01 Lyude: cool - seems I've got nvk running on F39 on my machine now :) (I prefer running stable fedora on my main work drivers)
20:44 fdobridge: <d​wlsalmeida> @airlied @gfxstrand This looks like a new kernel bug?
20:44 fdobridge: <d​wlsalmeida> https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/1034184951790305330/1224459414506045531/message.txt?ex=661d91b1&is=660b1cb1&hm=54dc546c64f6cd14c8c79fd5ae6c25493bcc2c4a7126c49eacc9a407602ee6a1&
20:46 fdobridge: <d​wlsalmeida> FYI: I already have `nouveau/uvmm: fix addr/range calcs for remap operations ` applied
20:47 fdobridge: <a​irlied> There has been an issue for that open for ages though, just hard to reproduce and track down
20:48 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> ohh. I think you can trigger something like that on a laptop with rusticl.. like if you have something constantly creating/destroying a `pipe_screen`
20:48 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> I hit something like it recently, but didn't found time to look into it yet
21:39 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Oh, boy... Looks like Manjaro turned on NVK in their 24.0.1 packages. 🤦🏻‍♀️
21:39 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/10931#note_2350201
21:40 fdobridge: <m​arysaka> Arch is on 24.0.4
21:40 fdobridge: <m​arysaka> <https://archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/vulkan-nouveau/>
21:40 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> No one should turn on NVK unless it's 24.1 or git
21:41 fdobridge: <m​arysaka> when is 24.1 planned to release?
21:41 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> End of the month according to https://docs.mesa3d.org/release-calendar.html
21:41 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Well, that's when it branches.
21:42 fdobridge: <m​arysaka> I see hmm
21:43 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> But 24.0 branched in December or early January. NVK has come a long way since then
21:43 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> And I don't really trust the backports. There's just been so many
21:49 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Also, distros shouldn't really be shipping it unless they can also ship 6.8
22:02 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> @mhenning Sorry I've let your MRs just sit. Is there anything you would like me to review?
22:03 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> I'm trying to keep up on review but failing. 😭
22:12 fdobridge: <m​arysaka> I suppose for arch that's going to be fine hopefully :aki_thonk:
22:17 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Even if it's not, we've probably only got about 3 months of horrible bug reports before most distros are on 24.1 and 6.8.N and most of the issues go away.
22:17 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Even if it's not, we've probably only got about 3 months of horrible bug reports before most distros are on 24.1 and 6.8.N and most of the worst issues go away. (edited)
22:17 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Just also need to make sure you're not on liblzma 5.6. 😉
22:26 fdobridge: <!​DodoNVK (she) 🇱🇹> That's unrelated to nouveau (but still quite bad)
22:27 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Yes, it has nothing to do with nouveau
22:29 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> just close the bug then 😛
22:31 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> I might
22:31 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> if a distro ships experimental software it's kinda up to them... but it's also Manjaro we are talking about here, so they might not care 🥲
22:32 fdobridge: <a​irlied> @gfxstrand can you post a link to your kernel branch to that bug report? Bit hard from phone
22:33 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> ohh wait
22:33 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> it's upstream arch :blobcatnotlikethis:
22:33 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/packaging/packages/mesa/-/blob/main/PKGBUILD?ref_type=heads#L157
22:33 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> :blobcatnotlikethis:
22:33 fdobridge: <J​oshie with Max-Q Design> @serebit ^ fix it
22:34 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> `1:24.0.3-2: Enable NVK and Iris XE `
22:34 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> 🥲
22:34 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> good luck
22:35 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> On the Manjaro report? I don't think the reporter knows how to build a kernel.
22:35 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> apparently this happened a week ago
22:35 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> it's worse, it's upstream arch
22:35 fdobridge: <a​irlied> No on the really good bug
22:36 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> ehh wait
22:36 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> don't mind me
22:36 fdobridge: <m​henning> Review for https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/27742 and https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/27454 would be appreciated
22:36 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> I'm tired
22:39 fdobridge: <!​DodoNVK (she) 🇱🇹> Is there an environment variable for disabling Vulkan extensions in :transgears:?
22:41 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> No
22:42 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> I'm rebasing on 6.8.1 right now
22:44 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> ^^ That was in reply to @airlied
22:44 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Rebase is done. Now I just need to build on both machines
22:44 fdobridge: <m​henning> I've had generally positive experiences with reporting bugs for arch packages. It might be worthwhile for someone to open a report there and just let them know
22:44 fdobridge: <m​henning> granted, arch upstream is already on kernel 6.8.2 so we at least don't have the old kernel problem there
22:45 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Never mind. I'm just going to build 6.8.2
22:45 fdobridge: <s​erebit | arch | budgie> @prop_energy_ball I don't maintain mesa
22:45 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> ohh I meant uhh.. "worse" in the sense of more users affected by it
22:45 fdobridge: <s​erebit | arch | budgie> make an issue
22:46 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> and the change happened like a week ago, so I assume more reports will be coming in slowly
22:46 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> but you also need to install a specific package to enable it?
22:46 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> mhhh
22:47 fdobridge: <m​henning> Yeah, on arch you manually install your graphics drivers
22:47 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> but in any case, users should file bugs against arch, not upstream
22:47 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> arch is free to backport fixes
22:47 fdobridge: <s​erebit | arch | budgie> what's the issue exactly?
22:47 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> enabling nvk in 24.0
22:47 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> it's experimental in 24.0 and shouldn't be used
22:48 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> or rather.. if you use it, expect it to be broken and not file bugs
22:48 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> it says `nouveau-experimental` for a reason
22:49 fdobridge: <s​erebit | arch | budgie> I can bring it up in -packaging, but I can't promise anything
22:50 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> yeah.. the fact that users have to install it explicitly is probably a good enough "opt-in", but maybe the package can be called experimental instead?
22:50 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> dunno how arch can set expectations there
22:51 fdobridge: <s​erebit | arch | budgie> this changes in 24.1?
22:51 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> correct
22:52 fdobridge: <s​erebit | arch | budgie> when's 24.1 scheduled for tag
22:52 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> soonish
22:52 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> mid may or so
23:03 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Branch point is end of April
23:08 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> At this point, people should probably just use 6.8.2. I'm building that now and will attempt to deploy it on both my laptop and my test machine.
23:09 fdobridge: <a​irlied> I think 6.8.2 is still missing the fix from last week
23:09 fdobridge: <a​irlied> The uvmm fix
23:15 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Right
23:15 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Thanks! I got my branches mixed up and didn't realize I dropped that one.
23:15 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> 😬
23:17 fdobridge:<g​fxstrand> can't wait until she can run distro kernels again
23:17 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Let's be honest. That'll never happen. 😂
23:21 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> @airlied Does F40 have a competent initram solution for linux-firmware?
23:21 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Or do I just need to resize /boot to 5 GiB? 😅
23:21 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> btrfs subvoulmes and resize `/boot`?
23:21 fdobridge: <a​irlied> No, it just packages the fw
23:21 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> but yeah.. my `/boot` is also 5GiB 😄
23:22 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> I should figure out how to resize mine, probably.
23:22 fdobridge: <a​irlied> If we update the fw I shall have to at least figure out the only put one in initramfs thing
23:22 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> 5 GB? Do you expect to run like 15 different kernel versions?
23:22 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> yeah.. that would help a lot
23:22 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> 1GB is barely enough
23:22 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> 1 GB has been plenty for 3 for me
23:22 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> install a debug kernel thing and your space is toast
23:22 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> Oh, fair
23:22 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Yes, but Fedora keeps 3 kernels and I need at least 2-3 for dev kernels
23:22 fdobridge: <a​irlied> That's like one bisect 🙂
23:23 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> not even
23:23 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> maybe 20% of one 😛
23:23 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> but yeah...
23:24 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> I think btrfs subvolume is probably the best bet here, so one doesn't have to bother all that much
23:24 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> dunno how stable btrfs support in grub is
23:25 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> I used it fine for 8 months over two years ago
23:25 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> but like...
23:25 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> there is a simpler solution
23:25 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> @gfxstrand if you don't use FDE on your machine, you don't need a special `/boot` partition in the first place
23:25 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> just have `/` and `/boot/efi`
23:25 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> FDE?
23:25 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> full disk encryption
23:25 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> My laptop does
23:26 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> right...
23:26 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Ugh... That's going to make resizing partitions damn near impossible, isn't it? 😭
23:26 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> ~~well, don't boot custom kernels on your laptop then~~
23:26 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> yeah...
23:26 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> can't use subvolumes anyway
23:26 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> I think
23:26 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> or maybe you can?
23:26 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> mhhh
23:27 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> dunno how that all works with btrfs and fedora
23:27 fdobridge: <a​irlied> Also if by some crazy chance the newer fw we pick up is API compat for what we use maybe we can just drop it in :-p
23:27 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> but there was like the idea of just encrypting your home folder.. maybe encryption per subvolume also works?
23:27 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> I have a 1T SSD in my laptop. I can afford a 4 GiB /boot
23:27 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> but I don't think fedora supports that yet
23:27 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> yeah...
23:27 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> I have 5GIB and that's enough
23:27 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> It's just a matter of the mechanics of actually resizing without reinstalling Fedora
23:28 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> I did that many times 😄
23:28 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> I even converted to FDE on a live system
23:28 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> Isn't it expected that every new openrm update breaks gap compatibility?
23:28 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> very fun
23:28 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> *GSP
23:28 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> it's easier if your `/` is not the last partition
23:29 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> but like if your `/` is the after`/boot` it's all pain and needs external storage for migration, unless you really like to live dangerously
23:29 fdobridge: <a​irlied> Expected doesn't mean it does
23:30 fdobridge: <a​irlied> NVIDIA aren't churning it all, all the time
23:30 fdobridge: <a​irlied> And we use like 6 methods
23:30 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> for now
23:30 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> HDMI 2.1 will add two more I think :ferrisUpsideDown:
23:31 fdobridge: <g​fxstrand> Actually... I can probably just shrink my Windows partition and then extend /boot without moving my BTRFS volume
23:31 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> I assume you won't bother with new firmware until we know for sure there's a firmware issue or missing feature?
23:31 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> correct
23:31 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> anybody interested in figuring out HDMI 2.1 btw? I have a prototype, but I don't think I'll find the time to actually implement it.....
23:32 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> but I don't think it takes more time than to just figure out the correct order of operations
23:34 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> I'm interested of course, whether I am capable of that work is less certain. Are you literally just talking about reordering the code you're adding until it works?
23:35 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> I'm sure I could figure out the order Nvidia does it given some time
23:36 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> it's more complex than that
23:36 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> Is there a quicker way to test kernel code than an entire build+reboot cycle?
23:36 fdobridge: <k​arolherbst🐧🦀> nope
23:39 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> Well, send me your prototype and I'll see if I can figure it out anyway. I want it to work and I doubt there's anyone else with spare time that is closer to understanding the problem
23:40 fdobridge: <r​edsheep> Or has readily accessible hardware to test on