00:47 tarceri_: anholt: What do you think about lowering io to scalars earlier on? https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2017-September/170078.html
00:47 airlied: ldeks: cool im working a bit sporadiacally at the moment and i think bnieuwenhuizen is enroute to xdc
00:48 tarceri_: I started looking at it late yesterday, it wasn't entirely clear to me if it would be simple to do or not.
00:49 airlied: we dont have a lot of entry level tasks left, but working on skme crucible tests for some amd extensions.might be an option also
00:57 tarceri_: One entry level thing on my todo list was doing some profiling on the nir_validate pass and trying to up performance a little.
00:58 tarceri_: not hugely important but if slow validation in debug mode is going to be a blocker for any nir link time improvements it seemed worthwhile doing
00:59 fredrikh: tarceri_: not sure if it's relevant, but there's also a validation cache extension now
02:37 bnieuwenhuizen: ldeks: DrNick: airlied: so we may need to syc a bit on the rasterization order ext, before we end up with 4 implementations :P
02:37 imirkin_: someone just sent one too...
03:34 DrNick: imirkin_: that was me
04:11 imirkin: oh :)
11:15 hanna: airlied: Plagman: Is there a way to dissect the GPU timeline even more than gpuvis? I can see when my command buffers get started and stopped, but that's about it. I can't look “inside” a command buffer and see any bubbles of GPU inactivity that may happen due to suboptimal pipeline barriers etc.
11:46 hanna: also I noticed the DMA engine is completely idle for my frame uploads, why?
11:51 PaulePanter: Hi. How can I build the radv driver(?)? It’s part of Mesa 3D, right?
11:55 lostgoat: hanna: not at the moment. You'd need to append some perfcouter data to your jobs
11:56 PaulePanter: Only `src/amd/vulkan/` seemns to contain RADV stuff. How do I enable it?
11:57 lostgoat: hanna: there is a format for appending an arbitrary message to a job from the kernel side, so technically you could put the perfcouter in there with each job and they would display on the tooltip
11:57 PaulePanter: Let’s try `--with-vulkan-drivers="intel,radv"`.
11:58 PaulePanter: No, `--with-vulkan-drivers=intel,radv: command not found`
11:58 lostgoat:should send out that patch
11:59 lostgoat: But I don't really have any actual users of that trace message yet in the kernel so I've been holding it back
12:00 PaulePanter: Where is https://www.mesa3d.org/autoconf.html maintained?
12:00 PaulePanter: The correct line is `--with-vulkan-drivers=intel,radeon`.
12:27 hanna: lostgoat: perfcounter? you mean like vkCmdWriteTimestamp?
12:28 lostgoat: hanna: https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://developer.amd.com/wordpress/media/2013/12/GPUPerfAPI-UserGuide-2-15.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiK876_mbHWAhUBxYMKHSiqCtEQFgglMAA&usg=AFQjCNHiI1Yvi8nkH2KDK4ZTwTvIdsel9A
12:29 lostgoat: They are counters that give detailed info on recent execution behaviour
12:30 lostgoat: The PDF is a doc for a closed AMD library
12:31 lostgoat: But Mesa should have something similar for reading perfcounters
12:32 lostgoat: Tom StDenis or mareko might know
12:32 lostgoat: mareko: Is Tom on IRC ?
12:33 hanna: Ah, that would indeed be handy
12:33 hanna: Perhaps it could be integrated into R600_DEBUg
12:33 lostgoat: I think making the kernel dump the data into gpuvis would be pretty cool
12:33 hanna: That would also be awesome
12:35 hanna: Speaking of gpuvis, it would also be cool to be able to extend the “print” line, using a standardized format. I want my events to show up as separate rows in the graph, and I also want to be able to define “begin” and “end” events which gets translate into bars in gpuvis
12:36 eric_engestrom: PaulePanter: the website is in docs/ in the git repo; feel free to send patches (see submittingpatches.html for help)
12:36 eric_engestrom: and yes, --with-vulkan-drivers=radeon is the configure option to enable radv
13:05 lostgoat: hanna: that is possible
13:05 lostgoat: steamvr already does something like that
13:06 hanna: Oh? I see it can turn my trace markers into lines in the “print” row, but how do I get it to automatically parse them into graphs or bars?
13:06 hanna: like say I give it “begin name” and “end name” events
13:06 lostgoat: yeah, theres a specific format for that
13:06 lostgoat: but I'm not sure what it is atm, let me take a quick look
13:06 hanna: Can you find the documentation for this? (I can't)
13:08 lostgoat: https://github.com/mikesart/gpuvis/wiki/Features
13:08 agd5f: hanna, lostgoat the gpu perf counters are exposed via GL_AMD_performance_counter in mesa
13:09 hanna: I see that tells me how to turn something like “[Component] Foo: #.###” into a plot, but can it do this automatically?
13:11 agd5f: for reference on how to use them
13:16 lostgoat: hanna: print events will get graphed automatically
13:17 lostgoat: if you've cloned gpuvis you can open the sample trace to take a look
13:17 lostgoat: gpuvis traces/amdgpu_trace.zip
13:18 lostgoat: example trace
13:18 lostgoat: RenderThread-25155 [003] 630659.255983: print: 0xffffffffabf5a467s: [Compositor] After wait query
13:19 lostgoat: I *think* there is a way to tie the print events together but I cant find it in the docs or on the sample trace
13:19 lostgoat: that way you get a bar if you provide a start and end time
13:22 hanna: Yes that's what I was referring to, the docs describe how manually turn these events into bar diagrams; but what I'm asking about is whether or not it can automatically do this
13:22 hanna: (I guess I'll just have to test it, and if not, open a bug report)
16:53 imirkin_: anyone know offhand if DP 1.2 has enough bandwidth for 2 2560x1440@60hz streams?
16:54 chrisf: imirkin_: iirc, yes
16:56 imirkin_: yeah, that's what i'm seeing on this random site as well
16:56 imirkin_: even 2560x1600 * 2 should be fine
16:57 karolherbst: imirkin_: there seems to be somd kine of "HBR2" mode though required to get the 17.28GBIt/s
16:58 karolherbst: otherwise you get only half
16:58 imirkin_: is that DP 1.3 vs 1.2?
16:58 karolherbst: nope
16:58 karolherbst: 1.2
16:58 karolherbst: vs 1.1
16:58 imirkin_: ah no. that's just the 540mhz rate.
16:59 karolherbst: but even 1.0/1.1 are enough for 2560x1440@60
16:59 imirkin_: i don't think you need anything special for that, other than configure the lanes that way.
17:00 karolherbst: most likely
17:00 imirkin_: [someone in #nouveau is having trouble lighting up the second screen, which is why i'm asking]
17:00 karolherbst: ohh wait, we are talking about 2 streams here, right?
17:01 karolherbst: if both use _CVT_ timings, it won't work with 1.2
17:01 karolherbst: 2 reduced timings should work though
17:45 prasannatsm: What happened to JZ4780 DRM driver? Does anyone know the reason for it not being merged?
17:45 prasannatsm: https://lkml.org/lkml/2015/3/4/913
18:55 kenz_: Hi, I'm looking for cwabbot. Does he still hang out here from time-to-tim?
18:56 pmoreau: He does, not sure how often though
18:57 kenz_: pmoreau: thanks! I'll keep an eye out for him.
20:14 sobkas: commit 1d0be5b3fe5 for reasons http://paste.debian.net/986852/ breaks builds, @daniels?
20:15 sobkas: mesa commit
20:24 daniels: *slaps forehead*
20:24 daniels: xexaxo1: ^
20:27 xexaxo1: sobkas: thanks give me a second
20:27 mupuf: hey, anyone has plans for tonight's social event for XDC 2017?
20:27 sobkas: no problem
20:37 karolherbst: mupuf: interesting thought, keep us informed if you find something or plan to organize something yourself :p
20:38 mupuf: yeah, working on it... but first, I want to finish my presentation for tomorrow :p
20:39 alanc: that's planning ahead - so many people wait until the morning of the talk to finish
20:40 bwidawsk: mupuf: basically all of the mesa team arrives at 5
20:41 mupuf: alanc: hehe, the one for Friday is done already...
20:41 mupuf: bwidawsk: good, which hotel?
20:41 bwidawsk: ramada
20:42 mupuf: bwidawsk: ok, cool. I guess it will be hard to find a good place for people to go without a car
20:43 bwidawsk: we have enough cars to mobilize
20:45 HdkR: What's this? a free con a couple miles away from where I live?
20:45 mupuf: ok. I guess we have two bets. Either we go around the Moutain view's caltrain stop
20:46 bwidawsk: mupuf: people can pick you up if we have a place in mind :-)
20:46 mupuf: or Sunnyvale's
20:46 karolherbst: HdkR: well dunno, maybe? :D
20:46 mupuf: we have a car too, with DANVET
20:46 bwidawsk: you'd put your life in danvet's hands?
20:46 mupuf: we are at the Santa Clara office right now
20:46 bwidawsk: craziness
20:47 alanc: yeah, it's weird getting in the mindset of "conference starts tomorrow" when you don't have to get on any planes because it's 10 miles from home
20:47 mupuf: Ha ha, today, I am driving. But that means no beers for me :s
20:47 mupuf: Sunnyvale is close enough for us to walk, we did it yesterday (~40 minutes)
20:48 bwidawsk: mupuf: there is always ride share services
20:48 karolherbst: mupuf: I doubt I will be able to join prior 6pm
20:48 mupuf: bwidawsk: indeed :)
20:48 mupuf: karolherbst: this will not be a problem. Where are you now though? Will you be dead tired?
20:51 karolherbst: mupuf: currently I am on the plane and will land in about 2 hours
20:51 karolherbst: mupuf: and I assume I will be getting dead tired sooner or later today
20:51 mupuf: hehe
20:51 karolherbst: couldn't sleep on the flight
20:51 mupuf: Will you rent a car?
20:52 karolherbst: robclark has one
20:52 mupuf: karolherbst: flying Norwegian?
20:52 karolherbst: and I will drive with him
20:52 mupuf: ok, cool :)
20:52 karolherbst: we both land in SFO
20:52 karolherbst: mupuf: lufthansa/UA
20:52 mupuf: ok
20:52 mupuf: bwidawsk: I think I would propose for us to meet in Mountainview's caltrain stop
20:53 mupuf: it has the densest options for food and drinks, according to google
20:53 mupuf: maybe marcheu has a place in mind, but that;s it
20:53 mupuf: that's all I can come up with*
20:53 robclark: karolherbst, btw, I will be ~1hr late but I think still before you
20:54 karolherbst: mhh, usually I go to bed around 7pm local time, sigh, well, we will see how I will manage to stay awake
20:54 mupuf: karolherbst: :o :D
20:54 mupuf: bwidawsk: would you mind being the organizer for tonight's dinner/pub event?
20:55 mupuf: I don;t have the internet on my phone and calling costs more than one euro per minute
20:58 seanpaul: did someone say pub?
20:59 mupuf: seanpaul: ha, a local!
20:59 mupuf: seanpaul: hhhhhoooooowwwww about you take of this? :D
20:59 zachr: mmmmm beer
20:59 seanpaul: mupuf: not exactly, i'm an eastcoaster
20:59 mupuf: take care*
20:59 seanpaul: zachr though....
20:59 zachr: bierhaus or steins is excellent
21:00 mupuf: seanpaul: Well, ..., hmm... I am french/Finnish. You are still closer ;)
21:00 seanpaul: mupuf: i'd suggest bierhaus or steins
21:00 zachr: oops, meeting time for me, bbl
21:00 seanpaul:is taking credit for zachr's work... as is tradition
21:03 mupuf: seanpaul: we need something for ~70 people if possible
21:03 mupuf: ok, maybe ~30/40
21:04 mupuf: zachr: oh, cool, thanks for hte suggestions. I guess steins is bigger?
21:04 karolherbst: mupuf: every pub is happy to welcome 70 people :D
21:04 mupuf: karolherbst: you german :D You just don't get it ;)
21:04 karolherbst: :D no way that'S the reason
21:07 seanpaul: mupuf: for tonight?
21:10 mupuf: seanpaul: yes :)
21:10 mupuf: O:-)
21:10 alanc: isn't steins already on the calendar for tomorrow night?
21:11 mupuf: alanc: hmm, isn't tomorrow's event at google?
21:11 seanpaul: steins is thursday, looks like
21:11 alanc: oh right, thursday
21:11 mupuf: well, if steins is already planned, we could test bierhaus then :p
21:11 alanc: remembered wrong night
21:11 mupuf: until it gets crowded, and then we can just split
21:14 seanpaul: bierhaus has online reservation for large groups, but nothing seems to come up for tonight
21:16 mupuf: seanpaul: I don't think we can reserve, since we do not know how many people will come
21:16 mupuf: anyway, here it is: https://www.x.org/wiki/Events/XDC2017/Program/?updated
21:16 mupuf: DONE!
21:17 mupuf: Now, I can finish my talk :)
21:17 seanpaul: mupuf: your priorities are perfectly in order
21:18 mupuf: seanpaul: I serve the greater good first :p
21:19 mupuf: alanc: can you tweet it?
21:19 mupuf: not my quote, tonight's event
21:31 alanc: mupuf: done: https://twitter.com/XOrgFoundation/status/910254681993101312
21:31 alanc: important note, https://twitter.com/xdc2017 is very much NOT US
21:32 seanpaul: would be nice to s/?Social Events/Social Events -> See Program/ on the main page as well...
21:33 alanc: seanpaul: done
21:33 seanpaul: alanc: thanks!
21:33 marcheu: alanc: if I have livestream events, can you publish it? (also, who owns the twitter accnt?!)
21:34 alanc: the XorgFoundation twitter account is regsitered to alanc@x.org if I rememeber correctly
21:35 alanc: but I assume it's foundation property and will pass it on if anyone else cares to run it
21:35 marcheu: so... can I pass livestream links to you to publish? :)
21:35 alanc: yes
21:36 marcheu: I was just wondering about the ownership of "xdc2017" but I guess it deosn't matter
21:36 alanc: oh, I have no idea who owns xdc2017 - just seems to be random namespace collision
21:37 alanc: http://www.xtremedefensiveconcepts.com/ seems to be a domain placeholder
21:38 karolherbst: that internet...
21:41 karolherbst: as the name "bierhaus" suggest, I could just talk german there the entire time :D
21:48 mupuf:  karolherbst: that's your type of bierhaus, right? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bYMAgM42pM
21:48 karolherbst: mupuf: funny, as if the internet would be fast enough for a video
21:48 mupuf: oh, right
21:48 karolherbst: pcitures are fine though :D
21:51 mupuf: well, not sure pictures would do it justice
21:51 HdkR: Do you have to be on the XDC attendee page to attend? :P
21:52 marcheu: ideally :) you can add yourself still
21:53 karolherbst: mupuf: well I just have to wait a few hours anyhow
21:53 robclark: HdkR, I don't think anyone will kick you out but it is good form to add yourself to page so organizers know how many to expect
21:53 HdkR: hehe
21:53 marcheu: robclark: badges are printed, at this point you get a hand-written badge of shame :p
21:53 robclark: oh, that is super fancy
21:53 marcheu: but yes, please add yourself
21:53 HdkR: Now I'm waffling because I don't know if I want to travel the 10 miles
21:54 mupuf: marcheu: hehe
21:54 karolherbst: robclark: hi, still on the plane?
21:54 robclark: yup
21:54 karolherbst: k
21:54 robclark: so suuupppeerr slow interwebs for me too
21:54 karolherbst: ;)
21:54 robclark: should be landing in ~1hr
21:54 karolherbst: yeah, me as well, 20 minutes later though
21:55 karolherbst: but I still have to do the border stuff and everything
21:55 karolherbst: I will be at gate 98 or so
21:55 robclark: ok.. well I have to go to baggage claim.. I guess after that I'll head to whichever terminal you are at
21:56 robclark:assumes international one
21:56 karolherbst: Terminal G
21:56 karolherbst: yeah
21:56 robclark: k
21:58 robclark: hmm, bierhaus looks approximately walking distance from where we are staying.. (~30 min walk that is)
21:58 karolherbst: good enough
22:00 HdkR: Umami burger is pretty good if you want food there :P
22:06 karolherbst: robclark_: it seems like you'll also land at the same terminal though
22:09 karolherbst: or google simple parses those pages wrongly, who knows
22:13 HdkR: I can't add myself to the attendees list :(
22:17 marcheu: it says to send me an email :p
22:18 HdkR: So it does
22:18 karolherbst: HdkR: you could tell me what I should put on it, then I'll do it
22:18 HdkR: Ryan Houdek - Dolphin Emulator?
22:19 HdkR: I hate being affiliated :P
22:19 karolherbst: done
22:19 HdkR: woop woop
22:19 HdkR: Now I have no choice but to take the caltrain for the next three days
22:20 karolherbst: well, I am also (still) under the projects name there
22:20 karolherbst: yes
22:21 HdkR: Can't tell if 1.8 miles is viable walking disance or should lyft the final distance...
22:22 marcheu: it's doable, but it's a pain. Ideally find someone to carpool with
22:22 karolherbst: well, preparing for landing now.
22:23 HdkR: Hm. I'm in SC, so a drive on the 101 sounds like a pain as well
22:26 HdkR: Lyft would probably be the best option from the station?
22:28 zachr: What do you mean by SC?
22:30 Plagman: santa clara?
22:36 marcheu: alanc: livestream links : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5T5wSCXkH4 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3uRpOI0xi0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2XHZd4uXRI
22:37 HdkR: zachr: Yes, Santa Clara
22:40 seanpaul: marcheu: chat disabled? where's the fun in that?
22:41 marcheu: seanpaul: I don't want to be responsible for moderating what kids might say on there
22:41 seanpaul: pfft, i'm sure the internet would act in a measured and responsible way
22:52 zachr: marcheu: that background image of Google you have on the stream has the old logo, but it is of the exact office I sit at.
22:52 marcheu: we wanted to make sure you weren't on the picture
22:53 zachr: I don't blame you :P
23:00 alanc: marcheu: thanks -posted to the wiki and to https://twitter.com/XOrgFoundation/status/910277443444924416
23:03 marcheu: thanks
23:33 mupuf: Now, we also have that on g+ https://plus.google.com/u/1/b/102057777074369211973/+XOrgFoundationOfficial/posts/2FPiWzMEJdf
23:34 mupuf: ok, leaving for the bierhaus soon, see you all!